Friday, April 22, 2011

Conversation Partners

Since my conversation partner decided to stop responding to my text messages after spring break, I thought it would be a good idea to write about the conversation partner program in general.  When I found out at the beginning of the semester that we were going to meet with the ESL students to help them learn English and gain experience with other cultures, I was excited.  I think the program is a great idea, and when the pairs work out, like a lot of them did for the class, it is a fun learning experience.  At first I thought Pamela and I would become friends, because we got along well at our first meeting with few language problems.  She offered to bring me pictures of her home in Brazil and we talked about going out to dinner in some restaurants around Fort Worth.  But with Pamela's busy schedule of classes, her job, and the fact that she lives about twenty minutes from TCU, several of our next planned meetings had to be canceled.

It wasn't until right before spring break when we met again, and Pamela told me she was probably going to transfer to TCC next semester since it is closer to her house and cheaper. Maybe she meant she was leaving TCU right after spring break, because I didn't hear from her again after that.

I wish I had gotten a chance to know Pamela better.  I loved hearing stories in class and reading other people's blogs about their conversation partner experiences.  I would have enjoyed meeting Pamela for lunch every week at the same time, or taking her to play pool in the Rec center.  Even though it didn't work out as well for me, I had a good time getting to know Pamela as best I could and learning a little bit about another culture.  The conversation partners program is an interesting way to approach TCU's global awareness credit.  It may have gotten off to a rocky start for some people this semester, especially with the "unintentional winter break," but I hope it continues to be part of the curriculum for this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment