Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Most Embarrassing Moment

Whenever anyone asks the embarrassing moment question, I always know exactly which one I’m going to talk about.  Of course, I’ve had more than one embarrassing moment...I’ve had a lot of them, actually.  But I think this one stands out above the rest. 
 
It was quite a while ago, when I was in eighth grade.  At my middle school it was a school tradition for the eighth grade class to take a class trip to Washington D.C. for a week every February.  (I never really understood why they took a bunch of kids to D.C. in the middle of the winter.)  Our flight was scheduled to leave early in the morning- really early.  We had to be at the airport by about 4:30 am, so that meant getting up around 3:30.  I’ve never really been a breakfast person, but my parents insisted that I eat something (waffles.)  Once we made it to the airport, I thought a Dr. Pepper would help wake me up before the flight, so I got one....from McDonalds.  Never a good idea.  About halfway through the flight, I started feeling sick.  The breakfast, nervousness, and McDonalds together were a bad combination.  Instead of being smart and reaching for one of the little paper bags in the back of the seat, I decided to try to climb over the person in the seat next to me and run to the bathroom.  It didn’t work.  I threw up all over the middle of the aisle.  To make matters worse, that whole section of the plane was filled with my classmates.  I spent the rest of the flight sitting next to one of my teachers in the back (by the bathroom) dying of embarrassment while the stewardesses cleaned up and my peers turned around to stare at me.  We were required to wear our school uniforms on the plane, so we would have them to wear to a couple of other places during the trip.  Unfortunately, I had to wear that same uniform skirt, cleaned as best as it could be, to the White House.  Great. 

Somehow, I managed to survive the rest of the trip, and I actually had a good time.  I had to endure a lot of jokes about how I was feeling, but I made it.  After starting off a trip like that, I think I’m ready for just about anything. 

1 comment:

  1. My sister did this once, but the thing is she is ridiculously notorious for vomiting in a variety of situations. Every time we get in the car for a roadtrip, it's always "Claire.... no puking this time." Sorry if this is grossing you out, but I just always find it funny how vomiting is something so vile and embarrassing but it's practically a running joke in my family.

    ReplyDelete